Flying to a new future
The land upon which Coopers Edge now stands has its place in the history of the area, both locally and regionally.
Its heyday and most significant time was surely when it formed a part of the renowned Brockworth airfield, which played a major part in the development and manufacture of aircraft between 1915 and the mid-1960s.
On this site the Gloucester Aircraft company pioneered the development of the jet aircraft. Demolished remnants of the former jet engine test site buildings and the runway were all that remained when work began developing the new Coopers Edge destination.
The leisure centre and destination public house take their names from the inventor of the jet engine, Sir Frank Whittle, who died in 1996. It was he who first had the idea of using a gas turbine for jet propulsion, and applied for his first patent in the 1930s.
This area has early historic records too
There was a small Roman settlement or farm on the north-western section of the site, which is believed to date back to the 2nd and 4th centuries. This Roman settlement is defined by certain ditch and sections remains. Stone tile and pottery as well as animal remains have been found on site – indeed, county archaeological experts are keeping a ‘watching brief’ on the Coopers Edge development to ensure there is no loss of cultural interest from the site.
Early mediaeval records suggest this area formed a part of the ‘Great Park,’ lands linked to the Llanthony Priory at Brockworth in the 12th and 13th centuries.