Playing its part
Coopers Edge is playing its part in the exciting urban regeneration of the neighbouring Gloucester city area, which is currently being energetically undertaken by the Gloucester Heritage Urban Regeneration Company (GHURC).
Reviving Gloucester’s Heritage
The purpose of the GHURC is to breathe life back into the city’s many historic areas and to create a new and prosperous city for the 21st Century. Uniquely, Gloucester is the only Urban Regeneration Company in the UK to have the word Heritage in its name. No other regeneration area can claim to have played such an important role in the history of England.
A Key Player
The development at Coopers Edge is playing a key role in this overall regeneration project. Greg Smith, Chairman of the GHURC says, "The GHURC is delighted to see the advancement of this scheme. The delivery of a substantial number of new homes is high on our agenda and the Coopers Edge project will help towards this goal, whilst complementing the other exciting redevelopments taking place in and around the city centre."
The GHURC has set itself an ambitious yet achievable 10 year plan that includes:
- 100 acres of Brownfield land reclaimed and developed
- Nearly 100 historic buildings repaired and re-used
- 300,000 square feet of retail floor space developed
- 3,000 new homes built and 2,000 new jobs created
- £1 billion of private sector investment levered-in
- 300,000 square feet of comparison goods retail developed
- 150,000 square feet of commercial floor space developed
- A new College of Further Education
- 4.25km of upgraded waterfront area
- A new mainline railway station and restored rail services
Since its inception in early 2004, the GHURC, which enjoys a very positive reputation across all sectors within the city, has already created a real sense of confidence within Gloucester as well as attracting significant private sector investment.